Sunday 13 June 2010

About my job


Ice cream maker.

As a kid growing up in the N.C. mountains, I dreamed about ice cream. I was obsessed with it. My uncle had a country store with a soft serve machine, and I vowed as a grownup I WILL install one in my garage. My friends would come over every day and we would eat unlimited ice cream and play tag. Life would rock, of that I was certain.

Today I made 250 gallons of Ice Cream. It is hard work. Landscaping, construction, agriculture... I have worked in these industries, and compared to running an Ice Cream, they are a walk in the park.

Still think it sounds fun glamorous, romantic or exciting? Then here is how you become a full time Ice Cream maker/co-owner of a small Ice Cream wholesale company.

Our family just moved to Florida. I started working at a small anonymous creamery in 2002.18 years old and no experience in the food industry. There were only 6 employees, and I started out extremely entry level: washing buckets. Hated it, but I was determined to be the best bucket washer the creamery ever had. A month later started doing Ice Cream prep, and soon assistant Ice Cream maker. In two years I learned the business inside out, then decided to go into landscaping full time. My boss at this point was virtually absentee and rather than have me leave I was offered shares in the company at rock bottom price.

I took the offer. I now work like a maniac.

On the other hand, I get paid to develop new flavours of Ice Cream. We recently added a line of Italian Ice.90% percent of our Ice Cream goes to private Ice Cream parlours here in the sunshine state. Business is good. I guess the moral of this story is do the absolute best job at whatever you can, and you will be rewarded.

When friends ask “do you like what you do?” I just smile and say... “Yep, it sure beats working for a living!!” (They have no clue)

McDonald's Assistant Manager... Never a dull moment

Hi, I’d like start off by saying that I work at McDonald’s. I began my job there in 2008 as a crew member. Over the past year, I have learnt a lot, sacrificed a lot (weekends, holiday, and low pay) but I continue to grow.

It’s sad to say that working in the service industry doesn’t give too much respect. I introduce myself to others and once I mention I work at McDonalds– I get the same response. Little do they know, management and even crew positions at McDonald’s require a certain kind of talent. I see it every day in my store, and it makes me proud to work with the people I work with. The speed, the planning, the problem solving skills, the hospitality, the teamwork, and most of all– a great attitude!

My employees are hard workers, they take pride in what they do and strive to give 100% each and every day. Nothing is more exciting than giving great results and seeing the looks on people’s faces.

No day is ever the same. I don’t think there’s ever a dull moment. I’ve been to several management courses and I feel confident in what I do.

Slaving in McDonald's

I worked for McDonalds from 6/08 to 7/09 and it was the worst experience of my life. I was 16 at the time I first got it. The store I worked in had NO AC so we would sweat in the summer especially if I was in the grill area. They would make me work 7 in the morning when I put on my application i wanted to work at 9. I was tired every single day of the week. They always had me waiting for me to go on break. Some days I never got break and I did an 8 hr shift. I got only 1 raise and it was 10 freaking CENTS! I finally quit I couldn’t take the stress. I’m jobless but honestly no job is better then slaving in McDonalds. I really do need a job because I’m starting college in September but I really can’t take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment